Member Login

Our History

1944

Meadowbrook Country Club was founded...

Meadowbrook’s history dates back to 1943, when The Meadow Brook Club was a public facility owned by the Berberich family and located in Overland, Missouri. Situated at Lackland and Midland Avenues, the Club had been strategically situated at the end of the street car run from the city of St. Louis.  (Creve Coeur line) The facilities included a fine golf course, swimming pool and night club, replete with dining facilities. With World War II in full swing, business was understandably off at most clubs.

A group of forward-thinking Washington Avenue manufacturers and Chestnut Street real estate moguls pledged to purchase the Club. In 1944, the group of “founders” expanded, solidifying the purchase of the property for the hefty sum of $175,000.

On May 30, 1944, Meadowbrook Country Club opened its doors with an all-day open house and buffet dinner. In June, on the heels of the Pro From Decree, a membership rally enrolled the Charter Membership of Meadowbrook Country Club. Many sons, daughters and grandchildren of those Charter Members are on our current Membership Roster.

In the first-ever State of the Club report, President Robert Dorfmont asserted that “the Meadowbrook Country Club is now a well-established institution in our communal and civic life. It is the realization, the hope and the ambition of all who recognized the need for another country club in our community to serve as a social meeting ground, --a home, in which to spend our leisure periods with our relatives and friends. This statement could have been repeated by every Club president throughout the years, for it still holds true today.

1945

Significant Growth

When World War II ended in 1945, the Membership roster quickly filled.  The Club’s tradition for exemplary staff was rooted early in its first manager, Karl Menzel, first golf professionals: Dale Morey, Frank Moore, Ky Laffoon, and Superintendent, Thomas V. Hayes.

The years from 1945 to 1957 were significant growth years for Meadowbrook.

1957

The End of an Era

That era came to an end on December 12, 1957 when a fire destroyed the clubhouse. Dewey Kennon, who served Meadowbrook for thirty-four years and ultimately became its general manager, stepped in as interim manager. Despite the ravaged clubhouse, Kennon continued the Club’s activities, scheduling indoor programs at hotels around the area, and maintaining outdoor activities on the Meadowbrook grounds.

 

1960

The Club relocated (A new Home)

The insurance settlement and subsequent sale of the Overland property allowed Meadowbrook to purchase 320 acres at Kehrs Mill and Clayton Roads. On March 27th, 1960, Meadowbrook was dedicated at its present location with a formal gala celebration.

From its humble beginnings by a group of visionaries, a solid foundation was established to support a bright future for the generations to come. Meadowbrook continues to this day to enjoy a proud heritage and a highly regarded reputation for fine dining, excellent service and an outstanding golf course.

2000

A Project of Tremendous Magnitude

After forty-plus years of providing a quality experience in private parties, Club functions, dining and recreation, it became clear to the Membership of Meadowbrook that our once-modern Club was in need of a major facelift. In 2000, the Club looked at a project of tremendous magnitude. The result of Phase I of Meadowbrook 2000 was a completely renovated championship golf course with continuous concrete cart paths, new drainage system, tee boxes and bunkers and a unified architectural theme, thanks to the renowned architect Keith Foster, who helped in the restoration of Southern Hills, Colonial, Philadelphia Cricket and the “Old White Course” at Greenbriar. The clubhouse received a beautiful new fa├žade and landscaping, fully refurbished formal and informal dining areas, and redesigned and decorated card rooms and common area
 

2019

A New Era of Meadowbrook Golf

After 20 years of enjoying Phase I projects as well as medium sized capital projects including new practice greens and the addition of an outdoor bar, the Membership, in correlation with the Long Range Planning Committee, was ready for Phase II of the Master Plan. 

After a few years of planning, the Club was ready to elevate its status in the St. Louis community and do something BIG.  Leadership concluded that we cannot be premier, without being relevant and consistently evolving.   In September of 2019, we broke ground on the start of a $4.5 million dollar enhancement plan to both the clubhouse and golf facilities.  These renovations included a complete gut and remodel of our main dining area- The Grille, a 3-phase upgrade to the Ladies Locker Room, a full 18-hole golf course renovation by architect, Kevin Hargrave, a new Ballroom Bar, and finally the first impression when a member walks into their second home – the club entrance (lobby) and hallway. 

These projects were completed during an unprecedented 2020 while Membership usage and pride was at an all time high!  Leadership did not stop there with the improvements and continued with adding 3 pickleball courts and new golf course bridges. 

By the end of this capital plan, Meadowbrook had cemented itself as a destination of choice for our members and undoubtedly an elevation in status.  High membership pride correlated to higher initiation fees, a full membership for the first time in club history, increased guest rounds, and an increase in food and beverage and banquet revenues. But most importantly, a Membership proud of their Club.   
 

A New Era of Meadowbrook had arrived.